What To Know When Planning A House Extension

What To Know When Planning A House Extension

If you’re thinking of carrying out work on your home, there is a lot you need to know before you embark on a house extension project. Here are some of the more technical aspects you might need to think about…

Planning Permission

Planning permission is a legal requirement for any extension over a certain size. You’ll need to apply for planning permission if you’re extending your home and want to ensure that your work is legally compliant.

There are two ways of getting planning permission: applying yourself or paying someone else to do it on your behalf. If you opt to do it yourself, here’s what you need to know:

This process will require time and patience as well as an understanding of the law. However, some people find that making their case directly to council officers can be more effective than using an agent or submitting an application through a company like us (although we can certainly help with this process). If you choose this route, make sure that you understand exactly what is required – there are different types of extensions which require different permissions, so check before submitting anything to avoid any unnecessary delays or unexpected costs.

Planning A House Extension

Building Regulations

Building regulations are a set of rules and regulations that govern the construction and alteration of buildings. They are designed to ensure that new buildings and extensions are safe, healthy and durable.

Building regulations set out how to meet health, safety and welfare requirements in relation to:

  • Structure
  • Services (ventilation, heating/cooling, lighting etc.)
  • Fire safety measures (such as smoke alarms)
  • Accessibility 

Permitted Development

Permitted development rules allow you to make changes to your home without needing planning permission. These rules apply in different ways across the country and there are different rules depending on what type of work you want to do.

When you’re planning an extension, you need to know what is allowed by permitted development. If your extension is not allowed by permitted development, it may be eligible for consent through a Building Regulations application or full planning permission application instead.

Party Wall Agreement

If you are planning to build on the boundary of your property, then you will need to agree with your neighbours on how you will share costs, or if you can do the work yourself. This is called a party wall agreement.

A party wall agreement is needed if you want to build on the boundary of your property and requires both parties’ consent before any work begins. The neighbours should discuss how much each neighbour will contribute towards improvements such as foundations and plumbing as well as what materials they’ll use for their own part in the construction project.

Find out More

We know that planning a big renovation project can be daunting, but it doesn’t have to be! Once you’ve considered the different steps of your renovation project, there are many ways to get ahead of the game. The most important thing is not rushing into anything. Speak to a team of architects if you ever have any doubts.

Leave a Reply